Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Reflections.....

We are incredibly lucky to have one of Doug's many aunts living close by in San Jose, so that is where I have been staying at night until the Navy gets their act together and gets us a place closer to the hospital. I so enjoy going back to Aunt Rose's house in the evening, she and Uncle Robert are both sweet gentle spirits during this time. At night we sit and visit while I unwind from the stress of the day, and let me tell you they have the most awesome guest bed, it is so comfortable. All I can think about on the drive back to their house at night is that bed and how well I am going to sleep.

Last night however, as I settled in that oh so comfy bed, I just couldn't settle down. The events of not only yesterday but the weeks before kept running through my head. And then before I knew it I was thinking about Dave as a child and all the funny happy memories that I have had of him. Then I started thinking about how I met Doug and Dave and then a huge realization hit me... if it hadn't been for Dave I seriously doubt I would have married Doug:) HAHA, but really he was such a sweet spirit I couldn't help but be drawn to him.

Some of you may not know the story of how a 32 year old woman could possibly be the mother of a 19 year old.... I met Doug when I was 18 and he was 26 (Dave was 5 at the time), right off the bat he told me he had a kid and that was a major turn off for me. Until I met the kid... I was perfectly happy just having a "good time" with Doug, not looking for anything serious, until I spent an entire day with him and David. The love I witnessed between father and son was something that I would never forget and that I instantly wanted to be a part of. It has helped that in all respects David's mother has not been involved, this has allowed Dave and I to create a more natural bond to each other these past 14 years. But I am saddened for her, because in my opinion she has really missed out on such a fine young man.

I will be forever grateful to the Lord for bringing this child into my life, I love him as I do my own born children. He is a major part of my life and I can't think of what my life would be without him. He has taught me so much over the past 14 years, mainly he has taught me how to be a mother. Yes, we have had some bumps along the way, but who hasn't. He is such a man of God and I stand in awe when I see first hand how strong his faith is, it is much stronger then mine. Dave is the person who led Doug and I back to Christ, the Lord used him in that way, and I am so grateful for that. He has taught me so much in his young life so much he will never know, and I know he has touched others in the same way.

We are so grateful for the second chance he is getting, it is so obvious to me that the Lord has great things for him in the future. I am excited that the Lord chose me to be in this young mans life and that I get to witness the awesome things that he will continue to do through David.

1 comment:

  1. I believe God does indeed have something unique planned for David's life. When our family met him, it felt like we had known him forever....he just seemed to fit right in. He does have that special ability to draw a person in. He has the ability to make a person feel so loved and important...he makes you feel like you are a wanted part of his life. Being the mother of three beautiful daughters and not having a son of my own, as I have come to know David, I have often thought that you, Bronwyn, are one of the most blessed women on earth for you are able to call such an incredible young man your son. I continue to pray without ceasing for all of you and I'm sending unmeasurable amounts of love David's way.
    Love, Grace and Peace, Michelle

    ReplyDelete