I usually post later in the day, but we just got news from the doctors of important information. They are inserting the Central Line today, Dave had a bad night and is not doing well today. They don't want to take any more chances so it is going in this afternoon. He is trying not to be discouraged with this news, but it is hard for him. What this will do is measure the pressures in his heart and it will elevate him to the very highest status for the transplant list.
Now for the most discouraging part, if his readings are low or if he continues to worsen, like he did over night, they will have to put in what is called a LVAD. What this is, is a surgically implanted pump that will make his heart work. The problem with this procedure is that they will have to take him off of the transplant list for a week after the implant of this LVAD so that he can heal from the surgery. Then he will go back on the list at the highest status at that point again.
We REALLY don't want them to have to insert the LVAD, it would be so horrible for him to go through this procedure and then have to wait even longer for his gift of a new heart. I don't think any of us will be able to mentally handle it well, especially him and he has been in such good spirits about all of this so far.
The surgeons just came in while I was typing this and told us that they are all getting very nervous about how quickly David is deteriorating at this point, so they are strongly considering inserting the LVAD, or how they call it a Mechanical Device to help the heart. They are going to get everything in the works to go ahead and do that, but they will still wait and see what the Central Line shows them today. They are getting several offers for hearts, but Dave is so tall that he is proving difficult to find a match for him, this was discouraging news to hear today.
Please pray hard these next 24 hours, we need it very badly.